Montague Village 


Montague Village is a small unincorporated community in San Patricio County, Texas. Located about 30 minutes northeast of Laredo, Montague village is the home to one of the most notable legends of Texas. The legend tells of an Indian princess and her white warrior who were frightened by a storm and hid in a cave near the banks of Caney Creek. The couple stayed hidden there until they could no longer hide their love for each other. After they left their cave, they were never able to see it again because it was taken over by nature after being abandoned for many years! The legend says that if you go to this exact location on Caney Creek Trail between mile markers (0.8 miles) 44 and 45, you can see where the couple used to sit and make love!

Montague village is a small farming community in the northern part of Limestone County. The area around Montague was first settled in 1842 by Larence and Daniel (D.D.) Brown, who called their homestead Leadville. Leadville soon became an important stop along the Chisholm Trail and also served as the Brown family’s home until they moved to San Antonio in 1864. Today, only one structure remains of the original homestead: a farmhouse whose size and layout suggest it was built several times over several generations.

The current town of Montague came into being after the establishment of a Methodist Episcopal Church in 1886, followed by a post office four years later. Today, less than half a dozen businesses call the sleepy little community home, but that number is expected to grow over time thanks to its proximity to Austin and Dallas as well as Limestone County’s agricultural prosperity.

Montague Village is a small town in Bee County, Texas near Fort Hood. The population was 70 as of the 2010 census. Montague Village is located in eastern Bee County, at the junction of U.S. Routes 59 and 277. It is east of Waco, west of Lake Waco, and north of the Llano Estacado region known for its wildlife and scenic canyons.

The village was established by German immigrant John Montague who arrived in 1873 to settle on a farm near what is now Main Street (Old Highway 59). He built a log cabin and planted a small garden which he tended daily until his death in 1924 at age 97. Today’s Montague includes several historic buildings and other sites related to John Montaire’s life and legacy.

Today’s Montague has one church, two businesses, several homes and other residences, one hotel with lodgesites nearby, and several recreational areas including parks with playgrounds and ballfields, a golf course, horse trails throughout town ,and six public lakes which offer fishing opportunities .